Saturday, May 07, 2005

Civic Duties

Yesterday I wrote a second set of letters to my Congressmen, voicing a few concerns. And today I sent the Honolulu paper a letter to the editor, hoping to raise some awareness locally, too. It's a bit daunting to think that U.S. policies are now going to directly impact me not just as a citizen, but also as a representative of the government. I have to defend the laws and contracts being passed in our legislature. It's amazing how civic minded that makes one...

I don't know if letters and such really make that big a difference, but if we don't tell our representatives what we think, we don't have much license to complain when they don't do what we want. At any rate, I would certainly encourage people to voice their opinions. For U.S. citizens, it's relatively easy. You can find the addresses (email and post) of all congressional representatives at the following website:

Congress.org

I'm not a big fan of all the reactionary soapbox stuff that gets posted on the above site, but it is very handy to have all the addresses of every official all in one place. You'll need to know the zipcode of where you're actually registered (for me it's Florida, though I'm living in Hawaii); there's not much use in writing people who don't represent you.

No comments: