Thursday, July 27, 2006

A Bigger Piece of the Pie

On the train ride home the other day, I found myself wondering why I feel I have so little time. I decided to list how many hours a day I was doing what activity. It got sort of complicated; so I made a pie chart:

This was a bit disheartening. But I thought maybe Friday would be better, as we don't adjudicate visas on Fridays. Yet, to my surprise:

No difference. Work seems to be like a goldfish; it grows to fit whatever size bowl you put it in.

I told my colleague Heather about adding up my time and realizing that I only had a maximum of 3 1/2 hours of free time a day. "I made a pie chart," I explained, pulling out my notes. Heather looked at me in disbelief. "You made a pie chart?" Then she shook her head. "What am I saying. Of course you made a pie chart."

Some people just don't appreciate the joys of time management.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you pie chart up your last time spent having sex (unless you are a virgin, which probably is deserving of its own pie chart - maybe one of those cool wired magazine three dimensional ones). I multi task and do the sleep thing while adjudicating. Looking forward to that TCN window slot you mentioned.

Teresa said...

and just think...if you slept 8 hours like they say you should, you'd only 1.5 hours of free time!

rashid the political officer said...

Hi, just ran across your blog. Amazed to see that another FSO has heard of, and likes, Rip Slyme. Excellent!

Mrs. Wrye said...

Who doesn't like Rip Slyme? I would never make a pie chart showing how I spend my time. It might say I played Guild Wars for 8 hours yesterday. :(

Anonymous said...

Normally I would think maybe sleep deprivation would lead to doing things like making pie charts, but I know Katie and this is just so something she would do. It's a trait in some of our family members!

You go girl!! 8^)

MC said...

Fabulous - we could probably all benefit from doing something like this. Although for some of us, it would also have the danger of removing our comforting delusions about how efficient we are...