Wednesday, October 11, 2006

An Uneventful Adventure

Over the weekend Sara and I took a short road trip from Tokyo to Osaka. I think we both expected it to be a bigger undertaking than it actually was: that we'd have some amusing mishap or grand adventure we could talk about back at work on Tuesday; a 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride' across Honshu, as my mother put it. We'd stopped by the base first -- where I couldn't believe how in my element I felt, leading my two colleagues confidently around the commissary and exchange -- so her tiny car was packed with groceries and Halloween pumpkins. We followed the highway around Mt. Fuji and past the 'Japanese Alps', stopped at a little mountain town to eat lunch and buy omiyage for the office, sang along to an '80s mix CD... and that was all, really. 8 or so hours later, and we were home in Osaka. Very pleasant, but hardly the stuff of drama.


It surprises me how much of life is like that. You get onboard expecting a 'Fantastic Story', when all you're really getting is a bus ride. But why should trying to remember the words to Toto's "Africa" while playing with the car's navigation system be any less fantastic than a flat tire or a narrowly escaped car wreck? I'm not going for profundity here -- I was just thinking about the importance of little things. Back in the office on Tuesday, everyone wanted to know 'How was the trip?' "Good," I told them. "Nothing big happened."


And that's really alright.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't you just lie and make up something??! I really wanted Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I'm living vicariously here, you know! 8^)

Did you go to the base at Yokosuka? You know, you're a military brat...no getting around it! I love the shops there, esp. the gift section in the bldg next to the main exchange. Fun stuff!

Much love,
mom

Sharon said...

Sometimes it is in the ordinary that the best experiences are remembered. Now, whenever you hear "Africa," your mind will wander to your travels with your friend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
I have been enjoying your blog (found it through other FSO blog links.) I am hoping for the January a-100 call. Would you mind giving another single girl some packing & preparing advice off-line?

-Jane (fso hopeful)
jane2522@gmail.com