Sunday, March 18, 2007

Number Two Indication You've Been in Japan Too Long...

...this guy starts looking kinda hot.


Isn't sumo weird? Japan -- a country of small, thin, relatively prudish people, trained to believe that no one person should really stand out over any other -- chooses beefy, near-naked men fighting it out for top prize in thrill-inducing bouts of showmanship as its national sport. I'm not complaining! The history of sumo is fascinating. But rather than bore you with a lecture, let me just show you this:


For the record, that's not me screaming. It's my sister.

8 comments:

Consul-At-Arms said...

Is that you in the picture with the cutout sumo guy?

fso GT said...

So, Which one is you? Nice Blog, btw. Someone in my last post had served in Japan, and she told me some interesting stories about working there...

Katie said...

I'm the one in the middle...

Lee said...

you need to lose weight katie!

Katie said...

I know. If only japanese food weren't so irresistibly delicious.

Charles said...

Um, if I might expose my geekiness, who is that in the match? Takamisakari and Dejima (or Aminishiki?)?

I'm very jealous - that looks like it was really fun. How much does it cost to get those kinds of seats?

Ah, to do a visa interview for sumo wrestlers, that would be funny. What would you ask?

Katie said...

Wow, good eye! The one in the blue fundoshi is indeed Takamisakari, but I think his opponent is Tokitenku. I only went in for the mid-price seats (about $75 each); the ringside ones are closer to $100 each, but many have to be bought in sets of 4 (so-called 'box seats'... they do come with a nice lunch bento and a grab bag of sumo gift shop goodies, though).

I keep waiting for sumo wrestlers to show up at my visa window! But alas, thus far no joy. There's a Hawaii tour in June, so fingers crossed that they'll apply down here and not in Tokyo. I'm not sure what I'd ask. Maybe for a demonstration of the dohyo-iri ritual..?

Charles said...

Ask if they ever became yokozuna what kind of dohyo-iri they would do (there are two kinds, one is currently considered "unlucky" though) - they would all smile at that and then become bashful in that sumo way. "Ahh, I just want to do my sumo. Yokozuna, me? Never!" Anyway, thanks for indulging me; I had no idea seats were so expensive!