Monday, August 06, 2007

Selfish Thoughts

August 6th. You forget about it sometimes. I didn't think about it at all today until lunch, when the japanese nationalists started to noise bomb the consulate. 'Gosh, they're awfully persistent today,' I was thinking. Then I recalled the date. Of course, of course...

I remember a conversation I had with one of my high school students back in Tsuyama. Japan shouldn't have a military he told me. No country should go ever go to war. I considered this for a while. "Yuuichi, do you know that if Japan is ever attacked, my father will come and fight for you? Do you know that my father would die for your country?' Yuuichi was shocked. "I didn't know." He put down his chopsticks and looked at his half-eaten bentou. "Is it true?"

It is.

But maybe that's a selfish thing to think about on the anniversary of the bomb.

10 comments:

Consul-At-Arms said...

I hope you didn't forget Aug. 7th as well.

Katie said...

If you mean the bombing of Nagasaki, that was August 9th.

Consul-At-Arms said...

Nope.

I mean the bombings of the U.S. embassies in Nairobi and Dar Es Salaam.

Katie said...

Ah, can't say that I thought about it at all. I'm sure we've all got some claim to victimhood. Some part of me finds it wearying.

Ashley said...

Hi Katie,

I just read your blog from start to finish as I'm thinking about taking the FS exam. I appreciate that you've recorded so much of your experience, and I hope you keep posting. I am looking forward to reading about your experiences with public affairs, as I'm anxious to see if it sounds like that cone works with my ENFP personality.

Good luck and please keep writing!

tomo said...

hello!(>@<)

fsowalla said...

How's it going with Herodotus' Histories by the way? I found it to be a difficult slog, and instead ended up reading Travels with Herodotus by Kapucinsky instead. Well worth it.

Consul-At-Arms said...

Yes, waking up to learn that ones colleagues at two diplomatic posts had their embassies blown up on top of them was quite wearisome.

Katie said...

Like I said, we've all got claims to victimhood. However, "hey, we got blown up, too" isn't a particularly good rejoinder to protests against the atomic bombing of two cities. Or to current government policy for that matter.

Ashley, good luck to you as well.

Hey Tomo... (^o^)/

The Histories _is_ a slow read, especially as it's too heavy to carry with me on the train. I'm working at it in between some of Edward Said's essays. Travels with Herodotus is on my list, though!

Consul-At-Arms said...

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply an equivalence or connection between the two events.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki (or some even more horrible eventualities) were the inevitable results of Pearl Harbor.

Which doesn't mean we can't remember and regret the casualties.