Saturday, June 07, 2008

Frustrated Bureaucrat Turns to Graffiti


After laughing at this recent addition to the Out of Order sign, I realized I've walked past this machine every day for the past four months and thought the same thing as the graffiti writer each time -- yet had never taken action on it. I felt somewhat disappointed by my own inertia. Granted it's pretty far down the spectrum, but I don't think it's all that different in spirit from watching a man get hit by a car and doing nothing.

The main obstacle to getting things accomplished always seems to be accountability. There's no contact number to call on the vending machine itself and no one on-site that I know of to talk to about improvements. The best I could do was send an inquiry through the "Ask FSI" intranet page to point out the problem and find out who's in charge. Seeing as those Navajo Jewelry 2 cent "Make Up Stamps" were last printed in 2005, it seems about time.

8 comments:

fsowannabe said...

My wife and I (both wannabe FSOs) really enjoy your blog. We've spent the last week going through it from way back in the beginning all the way to the last post. We've really appreciated your insight, your excellent writing and your service. Thank you so much! You're a real inspiration.

Lee said...

i saw that sign today, exactly as you took the picture. over several days, nobody has done anything, much less taken off the altered sign. I am thinking of adding an additional sign, maybe one critical of our policy in the middle east. or maybe one calling for locality pay while overseas. then they will pay attention i tell ya.

Katie said...

fsowannabe, thank you, that's very kind. Um, you do understand that I have no say whatsoever on whether or not you get into the Foreign Service..? But I wish you luck!

Lee, I'm on it. Mostly.

fsowannabe said...

What, you don't have a direct line to Condi??!! Seriously, we really appreciate your blog. Keep writing!

Lee said...

that sign is as fresh as your blog content......

Lee said...

alas, the sign has gone.

Katie said...

Yes, I noted that as well. I'll check in with the GSO on Monday (this will be the third time) to see how things are going. Ho hum.

Katie said...

For the record, GSO has indeed called the post office. Stay tuned for the excitement of "When Bureaucracies Collide..."