Wednesday, November 19, 2008

بشكل كبير

So... how do you tell someone in a dating context that you have MS? It's not as if it tends to work itself fluidly into casual conversation ("Sure is cold today... Hey, have I ever told you about my nerve disease?"), but to frame it as a pronouncement ("I have something to tell you: should this relationship progress to the point of marriage, there's a chance that shortly thereafter I will become a blind and incontinent burdensome shell of my former self. Also, I snore.") lends it an air of drama that it doesn't really warrant. A pronouncement seems to demand something from the recipient; or worse, implies that you've reached some gravid point of reckoning in the relationship, whereas maybe he just thought you were hanging out. Timing here seems crucial; sensitivity to context and social cues, a must. Which is why I suspect I'm going to screw it up spectacularly.

4 comments:

Teresa said...

:-)
I say, wait until he proposes and then say, "Before I answer that..... "
Or when he asks, "What do you see yourself doing in 15 years?"...
Again, :-)

Lee said...

اقول له انك مثل ام اس ان بي سي ، ولكن من دون ان بي سي

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I found your blog through the usual path of link after link and I've read the entire thing. It was a really interesting read and I was wondering if I'd be able to ask you a few questions about FS? My email is noetic@gmail.com and I look forward to your correspondence.

SBManyam said...

You won't screw it up!! But I think you have some time before you need to say anything.