Thursday, February 11, 2010

Superfluous

My time in ACS came to a close today, and now I'm suddenly POL -- or in other words, I've abruptly gone from being the last person evacuated from post in the event of a disaster, the one most necessary in a crisis, to being the first one on the plane. Three years of consular work, over. If you think that's a weird feeling, you're right. Luckily, I've got a long weekend ahead of me to settle into the idea.

I've been trying to reflect on the things I've learned in consular. Maybe more patience. Definitely more humility when dealing with rules and bureaucracy. I've stretched the 'E' side of my personality, for all you MBTI fans. Those are all good things. It's been a heavy three years though. This last year in particular, it seemed like I was proverbially sprinting nearly the entire time, to the point where returning home at night was merely a stage setter for an epic struggle between my desire to sleep and my desire to eat. That part I won't miss. But watching the FSNs 'sprint', too -- that part I won't forget. If I'm ever in a position of management, I hope I can make things better for them.

So, sure, POL work. Bring it on. We'll see what I learn this time.

12 comments:

fsowannabe said...

That must be quite the transition. Hopefully you'll get some well-deserved rest.

karyn said...

I'm so proud of you!

Lee said...

Hope you like reading the newspaper drunk!

Geraldine said...

Do we get to read any of the stuff you'll be writing??

Katie said...

Not without a security clearance (or really really good computer hacking skills).

Charles said...

I'm afraid POL folks aren't necessarily the first ones out if there's an evacuation. You're probably still stuck! :)

Elizabeth said...

Over the last two days I've read a bunch of your posts.......very entertaining. I am heading to D.C. on March 15th to do the OA.....I've been reading everything I can about the service. I really enjoy your openess about your whole experience. Thanks for the wonderful posts.

Katie said...

Good luck to you on the Oral Assessment, and please enjoy DC. When it's cold outside, I recommend a trip to the Botanic Gardens.

Elizabeth said...

I'm hoping for cherry blossoms......or at least buds. I hear its fifty and sunny today.

Elizabeth said...

No cherry blossoms.....but I passed. I'd love to communicate via email with you if you'd be interested. Let me know

Katie said...

Oh, congratulations! If you feel comfortable posting your email address, I'd be happy to correspond with you (though I don't get to my email very often, just as a warning...).

fsowalla said...

btw, congratulations on the dissent award. Great accomplishment!