Saturday, July 10, 2010

This Palm Frond has Quite the Incentive Package

The path to القُدس is not a straight one; the closest thing I've got to a John the Baptist is my CDO, and I'm not sure that she's into locusts and camel hair. So what to do?

Enter Pakistan.

Pakistan has been on my list for a while -- I think since hearing an NPR special on Karachi a couple of years back -- though (true statement) I never intended it as a stepping stone to anywhere specific. I actually bid on it months before looking for a job across the river ever occurred to me. Identity issues, nationalism... Sometimes a place just catches your fancy. Helpful also in being a place I can go. At least theoretically. My handshake lets me 'link' and plan, but ultimately means nothing without an accompanying thumbs up from MED. A panel opportunity has already come and gone once. I'm told there will be others.

Castles built on a promised letter from a neurologist I've spoken with for all of twenty total minutes, to be read by people who've never met me. This is science.

6 comments:

fsowalla said...

Karachi no, Islamabad yes. Pls talk to some others before taking that handshake.

Katie said...

It's a done deal, so no point in being fretful. Thank you, though, for likely frightening my mother!

Charles said...

Wow, a done deal already. Good for you! And congratulations on having some certainty, at the least. I hope you enjoy Karachi, and that you stay safe of course. Our security folks tend to do a very good job at that, even if the result is cabin fever...

Katie said...

I should clarify: the position is in Lahore, not Karachi -- the NPR special was on Karachi. If I get the medical clearance, it should be interesting.

Kacie said...

Lahore was my favorite place in all of Pakistan. You must visit the border ceremony with India, it is hilarious...

Lee said...

I got Karachi once. It was a bitch to treat with antibiotics! No more late night romps with slutty Lebanese girls for me!