Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I'll Take the Stairs

Having "Leadership Skills" training in the same building where my dad's father used to work gives me a curious sense of connectivity. I only know him from photographs -- maybe that means that any feeling of connection is misplaced. But I find myself thinking about him when I go up and down the steep wooden staircase that runs through the heart of the building, and I can easily picture him treading the same route. It cues a sort of lopsided swell of pride to put my hand on the banister and think that his hand might have been there. We're at least connected in service, if in little else.

4 comments:

Nomads By Nature said...

Not a silly connection at all. Quite lovely, in fact.

Anonymous said...

That is so cool Katie. I think your grandfather would feel the same way. And I know he would be very proud of you!
mom

Consul-At-Arms said...

Was your granddad with Signal Corps, ASA, INSCOM, or DIA?

Katie said...

He was with ASA, if I've understood my father's stories properly.