Sunday, July 10, 2011

Loaf of Bread, Jug of Milk

There are definite advantages to grocery shopping with a bodyguard.

First, you've never felt more important in your life. People in the aisles part before you like the Red Sea, all the while eyeing your cart to see what the other half is buying. I only hope the store was prepared for the resulting run on Ariel detergent and canned spinach.

Second, it's helpful to have a local always at hand who can rate your selection of pre-packaged biryani mix. He really put his all into this part of the excursion, I've got to say.

After we'd checked out, however, I was a bit stumped. Do you tip your grocery store bodyguard? I mean, protecting you from potential cereal aisle snipers is kind of a personal service, right, like a haircut or a massage or something?

Though, to be clear, I never asked him to carry my shopping bags...

5 comments:

Lee said...

was he from the store or part of the Consulate force? That would determine the tip.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you entries are scaring the bejeezus out of me from taking the FSOT or pushing me towards it....they are making me laugh though. Please dont get shot in the grocery store. I wouldn't have your blog to read any more....

Katie said...

Don't worry -- I'm carefully following all recommended safety and security procedures. And the FS is fun. If you go through some of the written exam sample questions off the careers.state.gov website, you'll know pretty quickly if it's a good fit. (The entry process is also a bureaucracy endurance test; you've got to have a pretty high tolerance.)

Anonymous said...

You forgot "and a stick of butter" that's one of my favorite vintage Sesame Street bits. Well played.

Katie said...

Thanks. Though here it's more likely "jar of ghee."