Friday, July 22, 2011

Things That Define Us

Yesterday's outing was to the closing ceremony of a Model UN camp. As part of the camp activities, the students created a 'Global Village' with elaborate booths depicting different countries.

At the U.S.A. booth, the students had assembled what they thought best represented America: a seven-foot tall recreated Statue of Liberty, a picture of an eagle, a box of KFC, a diorama of the Hollywood sign... and a diorama of the burning World Trade Center, complete with cottonball smoke. "This attack was very important for America," one of the girls explained to me. I didn't know what to say -- it was done without guile, but how awful that we've allowed that day to now define us for so many people around the world. I suppose it was better than a depiction of a mass of college students cheering in front of the White House after Osama bin Laden's death.

The Pakistan country booth treated me to some mehndi.


It left me wondering what students in the U.S. would have come up with if asked to depict Pakistan. Something about SEAL Team Six, likely.

2 comments:

Lee said...

my ideas probably would not win me any PD awards. Cricket cheaters come to mind.

Katie said...

Terrible, Lee. Don't cause us any more trouble.