Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Head Up, and Smiling

Last night was the first time I went to bed with my safehaven door closed and locked. I've never before, not once, not here and not in Jordan, felt a need to even pull it to. But with recent events being what they are, I'm trying to be more responsible. After turning the bolt, I padded over to the bed, lay down, and proceeded not to sleep.

What the safehaven door represents frightens me. Not just its implication of outside threat, but maybe more so its implication of the 'proper' way to respond to that threat: Withdraw. Barricade. Keep your head down.

Yet the greater the threat, the tighter the security, the higher the risk, the more important it is for us to be out there and engaged and visible. It's quite the paradox. I don't want the safehaven to become a normal part of my or anyone else's life, but I need to incorporate it into my routine. That's a bit of a paradox, too.

In the morning I will keep my head up. But for right now, I'm just putting off going to bed.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Katie, as one over-thinker to another, don't let this get into your head for too long. Yes, you're working in a dangerous place, yes you have to take precautions. But try to focus on the work, not the precautions. Otherwise you'll never sleep again.

Katie said...

Yes, good advice, as always. Luckily, there's a lot of work to focus on.