Sunday, August 14, 2011

"Suppose now that there were two such servings of rice, one prepared by the just and one prepared by the unjust..."

Repeated washings of the raw rice I had intended to cook for our National Day potluck failed to remove all the weevils. Somewhere around the middle of washing number five or six -- while I was meticulously flicking stringy little weevil larvae out from amidst the wet grains -- I realized that I was actually not so much concerned about my colleagues eating the weevils as discovering them. It was my Gyges' Ring moment, and I failed miserably.

Times like these make me wish I'd majored in Home Economics instead of Philosophy. Maybe I can bring some cornflakes to share.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I buy rice I always put it the freezer for at least 24 hours before storing it in the cabinet....
mom

Katie said...

Mom, you have the wisdom of Plato.

Anonymous said...

I am mentally reviewing every bite of food you ever prepared for me. Thanks for that.
-kate

melanie. said...

i came here to say the freezer thing too. except i keep mine in the freezer all the time, not just the first 24.

Katie said...

Sorry, Kate. I hope this hasn't permanently broken the bond of trust between us.