Friday, October 19, 2012

"Family, religion, friendship... These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business."

A few weeks ago, I got a call from a colleague in a different office.

"So, a late night for both of us, eh?"  (It was, in fact, about 11:30pm.) "I'll be here till 1:30, then back at 4:30.  You?"  Ah, a challenge from one masochist to another.

"Well."  Whatever, punk -- I'm game.  "I would, but I'm limited by the metro times."  This was true, but also a lie.  For all I knew, the metro started running at 2am, and I'd been selfishly sleeping through 4 hours of potential work time.  He scoffed his sympathy.

Today as I was leaving the building (at 9:30 -- work life balance, you know), I saw him out walking with his family.  When I caught his eye, he looked a little guilty.

Slacker.

1 comment:

Joe M said...

His selfish desire for a family just proves his lack of commitment