Friday, March 29, 2013

And for my next trick...

"Add more to this call sheet, but make it shorter."  This is so far my favorite (though not my first) 'request for the metaphysically impossible' that I've received during my tenure on the Desk.  Add a half page of information, but make the paper a half page shorter.  Time frame to complete this request?  20 minutes.

May I change this from first person sentences to broad bullet points?  No, you may not.  Should I cut any of the existing information?  No, leave it all in and add this extra bit.  But make it shorter.  18 minutes left to go!

Alright-y then.

If you suddenly receive a very blunt, completely unnuanced phone call from someone at the State Department, well, just know that the call sheet did not exceed the mandated page length.  Eventually I expect us only to convey information to other governments via tweets, so this is good practice.


2 comments:

Geraldine Kiser said...

I guess changing to a smaller font is not an option.....

Katie said...

We tried that for a while, but it did not stick. We're strictly a 14 point font organization.