Saturday, September 21, 2013

Cuppa Cuppa

I discovered this today scribbled in an old notebook; I think it's from my first or second month on the Desk.

Whoa whoa whoa -- Katie, what have you got there?

This?  It's a teapot.  The 7th Floor staffers wanted another one, and it's just sitting here, so I thought I'd send it to them.

Who else has seen it?

This teapot?  Well, it's been out in the common area -- I think we're all passing familiar with it.

But you haven't had anyone check it to make sure it's suitable?

Suitable for the 7th floor staffers?  It's a standard teapot -- handle, spout, lid... we sent them virtually the same one last week.

Does it have a tea cozy?  Does it come with cups?

What?  Well, no, I guess not.  But they didn't ask for those things.  And, like I said, we sent them one last week just like this, and they seemed perfectly happy.

You should run it through the Teapot Review Committee.  You'll need to knit a cozy first, obviously, and hand-throw and fire some cups and saucers.  It should all go as a set to the Committee before it goes up to the 7th Floor.  Don't forget to clear it laterally with the OHBRC, too.

OHBRC..?

Office of Hot Beverages and Related Condiments.  The OCBRC should probably see it as well.  The 7th Floor might make iced tea, and we want to be covered.

Uh, okay.  Sure.  Where do we keep our potters wheel and kiln?

You'll need to build them.  Call facilities if you need instructions.

And our knitting needles and yarn?

Facilities can give you wool carders and a spinning wheel.  I assume you have access to your own sheep?

Sure.  I mean, no, but I'll figure it out.

Great.  Try and have it ready before lunch.  Also, don't forget that you owe the Front Office a chaffing dish.  Have you read the crockery assembly manual?  It's in Section G, Tab 2, of the SOP that NEA/RMA sent out.

Hey, could we just call the 7th Floor staffers and check to see if they're okay with the teapot as is?

Ha ha ha!  "Call the 7th Floor staffers..."  You new desk officers crack me up.

[Intrepid Intern]  Katie, what's in that teapot anyway?

[Me]  Here, look for yourself.

[Intrepid Intern]  Is that... a tempest?

[Me]  Why, yes.  Yes, it is.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Love. This. Love it.

Kari said...

Hi,
After reading your entire blog from the first entry in 2005 to the last in 2013 my first reaction is to shower you with praises, to let you know how life changing your blog is, how inspired I am by your endurance, and how awed I am by your writing skills, however, after reading the comments of your other readers I'm sure you already know and I don't want to sound cliche. So to the point... Your blog gave great insight into the ups and downs of the various 'cones' in which you worked. If you don't mind sharing, which cone was your favorite? Did you ever switch from the PD track or did you decide to stick with it? Thank you for your time and willingness to share your experience with the world!

-Kari

Katie said...

Kari, I'm so glad that you've enjoyed my blog -- I have a lot of fun writing it. All the different types of FS work I've done have had high and low points; I personally feel more drawn to POL jobs, as I enjoy the analytic writing they tend to involve. I am still PD coned (switching from one to another takes time), so we'll see how this plays out.