Saturday, July 04, 2015

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate

An airline friend of mine told me that when pilots realize they're losing control of the situation or are starting to panic, they're taught to focus on three things:  first, figure out how to keep the plane in the air, making sure to take in the aircraft as a whole and not fixate on any one issue; next, assess where you are and which direction you're headed; and lastly, tell air traffic control what's happening and ask for instruction.  Those three things in that order.  Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

Trying to figure out how to structure a new office in a new place, I find that this directive is a helpful guide -- on occasion I'm actively conscious of us moving from one stage to another and back again.  I just hope air traffic control is patient as we figure out what all the various lights and switches and levers mean.  I'm not certain that our SCape masks double as flotation devices.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I'm sorry that I missed you before you left this summer. I look forward to hearing about your new job. You'll be fantastic.